[Catalist] Science Lab Refurbishment

Diana Tomazos anaid4u at iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 24 15:22:25 AEST 2016

Hi everyone,

I visited a school in Chicago last year that had a few aspects I liked........

The desks were on rollers at the base of each leg that locked. (I know some classes have these here also.)This enabled the classroom to be rearranged for group work,
experimental work,
or  (heaven forbid) a teacher centered lesson in minutes.

Sinks and Gas taps were situated on the benches around the walls.
In order to conduct experiments the desks were pushed next to the side wall's bench and the Bunsen burners were placed in the middle of the desk with access to the gas taps. Students also had access to the sinks for lab work.

A rail was permanently attached on the wall that went around the room at the height of 2000 mm above the floor.  The rails were used to hang white boards (600mm x400mm). The white boards were designed so that they could lie flat on the desk or be hung on the rails. The whiteboards had a lip at the top that enabled them to easily hook onto the rail.
White boards were used in a variety of ways:-
Collaborative group work flat on the desk
Hanging on rails to share ideas, data, etc
Other groups could walk around the room and add data to them etc
Teachers could use them innovatively.
The white boards were stored hanging on a rack like an upside down rack that you stack the dishes in when loading up your dishwasher. Only the whiteboards hooked onto the rack unlike the way the dishes stack in-between the rack.

There were 4 data projectors hanging from the ceiling orientated to project to their own screens located at the group's corner. The students working in their  groups could choose which projector to use in their classroom by airdropping  their work etc. (This could be designed in other ways with the use of monitors I'm sure you're school would choose the latest technology to do this.)

Other considerations would be standard requirements for the use of chemicals etc. in WA.
Perhaps the following  link may be useful?
http://www.flinnsci.com/teacher-resources/laboratory-design/laboratory-design-articles.aspx

Budgets are always our limiting factor. :(
I thought I would share this information as "food for thought"
If you would like to contact me for any further information about my NSTA trip to Chicago ........
Or if you would like to find out how to apply to go to the NSTA next year I can also help you there as well.
Please email me at Diana.tomazos at education.wa.edu.au
Kindest regards,
Diana

Sent from my iPhone