[Catalist] UV light and Laser for Y12 Physics?

KERRELL-VAUGHAN Fiona [Cape Naturaliste College] Fiona.Kerrell-vaughan at education.wa.edu.au
Thu Jun 9 17:11:53 AEST 2016

Hi, we have been trying to find a UV light which convincingly demonstrates the Photo electric effect; the ones we have tried give an unimpressive effect on an electroscope, but we would like something with a bit more 'oomph'...

We have also been unable to create good interference patterns to measure the width of a hair with the 'toy' lasers available...

If any one could send the spec of the best UV/lasers to use, or the closely guarded secret to success with these practicals, I would be very grateful.

Thanks & regards,

Fiona Kerrell-Vaughan
Science Teacher
Cape Naturaliste College