[Catalist] Invitation to THE 'NOT-SO-SIMPLE' SIMPLE ELECTRIC CIRCUIT workshop

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 17:14:45 AEST 2016

RE: Case Method Teaching PD

Greetings Science Colleagues,

I congratulate Yee on her teacher education research project to show science colleagues how to apply the Case Method of Teaching to conceptual change learning (now referred to as conceptual reconstruction learning) of ‘simple’ dc electric circuit theory.

In her email Yee stated that: “… the Case Method has been used extensively in teaching law, medicine, and business.” I can understand how the Case Method would naturally fit into the fields of law, medicine, and business.

I ponder how the Case Method can be effectively applied to science conceptual reconstruction learning. I will need to attend Yee’s “The ‘Not-So-Simple’ Simple Electric Circuit” PD workshop. I then did some research on the Internet to try to find examples of the Case Method of Teaching applied in the fields of Science.

As I professionally do not like power points, I decided to search only for PDF’s.

URL 1: http://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/lt/resources/handouts/CaseMethodBestPractices.pdf <http://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/lt/resources/handouts/CaseMethodBestPractices.pdf>
URL 2: http://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/lt/resources/handouts/CaseMethodGroupWork.pdf <http://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/lt/resources/handouts/CaseMethodGroupWork.pdf>
URL 3: http://pal.lternet.edu/docs/outreach/educators/education_pedagogy_research/start_with_a_story.pdf <http://pal.lternet.edu/docs/outreach/educators/education_pedagogy_research/start_with_a_story.pdf>
URL 4: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/pdf/292342main_GSFC-Methodology-1.pdf <http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/pdf/292342main_GSFC-Methodology-1.pdf>
URL 5: https://libres.uncg.edu/ir/uncg/f/B_Levin_Using_1995.pdf <https://libres.uncg.edu/ir/uncg/f/B_Levin_Using_1995.pdf>
URL 6: http://www.ccce.divched.org/sites/www.ccce.divched.org/files/p1_herreid.pdf <http://www.ccce.divched.org/sites/www.ccce.divched.org/files/p1_herreid.pdf>
Best Wishes,