[Catalist] FW: Women in Physics Lecture

Lance Taylor lance.taylor at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jun 21 18:35:33 AEST 2016

From: Lance Taylor [mailto:lance.taylor at ozemail.com.au]
Sent: 21 June 2016 16:34
To: 'catalist-bounces at lists.stawa.net'; 'catalist-bounces at lists.stawa.net'
Cc: 'Gerd Schröder-Turk'
Subject: Women in Physics Lecture

Greetings all Catalystians,

The following information comes regarding this year’s Women in Physics
Lecture, courtesy of the Australian Institute of Physics.

Looks great, especially for the girls, but the boys will be inspired too!

Further info can be found via this link:

http://gerdschroeder-turk.org/2016/06/21/australian-institute-of-physics-wom
en-in-physics-lecture/
or

www.gerdschroeder-turk.org

Cheers

Lance Taylor.

About the Speaker Dr Catalina Curceanu is the head of a research team at
Italy's prestigious National Institute of Nuclear Physics, Laboratori
Nazionali di Frascati. Born close to Dracula's castle in Romania's
Transilvania region, her urge to become a scientist took Catalina to a
physics degree at the University of Bucharest, and to a doctoral degree in
an experiment at Geneva's famous particle laboratory CERN. Throughout her
career, Catalina has been decorated with prestigious international awards
and is the author of more than 200 scientific articles. Her book “From Black
Holes to hadrontherapy. A journey into Modern Physics” reflects her passion
to explain the beauty and importance of science – particularly to
enthusiastic high school audiences.

Catalina will be touring Australian Universities and Schools as part of the
2016 Women in Physics lectureship, awarded to her by the Australian
Institute of Physics.

About the Lecture About 100 years ago, it became clear that a new theory was
needed to explain the very foundation of all matter, us included. This new
theory, Quantum Mechanics, departed sharply from older theories in that
probabilities and chance events, and lack of microscopic predictability,
were its essential elements. Despite being famously opposed by Einstein's
quote “God does not play dice”, Quantum mechanics has matured into the best
theory we have ever had. The structure of molecules, the forces that shape
proteins and molecules, the semi-conductor physics that underlies all
computing, and many other fields cannot be understood without quantum
mechanics. In spite of its tantalizing success, quantum mechanics still
spurs a lively debate about its interpretation: the early quantum physicist
Erwin Schrödinger created the now famous paradox known as Schrödinger's cat
– which is simultaneously dead and alive until we look at it. In this talk,
we shall explore some modern perspectives on this paradox: the collapse
models, the many worlds scenario and Bohmian mechanics. We shall also look
at some of today's experiments conducted to test the most peculiar features
of quantum mechanics, such as the apparent infinitely-fast
infinitely-distant information exchange known as entanglement. Far more than
a mere challenge for our philosophical interpretation of the world, quantum
mechanics is the basis for future quantum-driven technologies, from quantum
computing and cryptography to teleportation. Today’s dreams might become
tomorrow’s realities.

Transport Funding and More Information The lecture is aimed at year 10-12
high school science students. Murdoch University has funding available for
bus transfers from high-school locations to the lecture venue. Teachers or
students interested in organising transport for high-school classes should
contact Michelle Austin ( <mailto:M.Austin at murdoch.edu.au>
M.Austin at murdoch.edu.au) for help and assistance. For questions related to
any other aspect of the event please contact Dr Gerd Schröder-Turk
(G.Schroeder-Turk at murdoch.edu.au).