[Catalist] Average emf induced in a coil formulae

Roy Skinner rsskinner at optusnet.com.au
Sun Sep 18 09:55:15 AEST 2016

A lot of students are confused by all the different formulae on voltage.
Peak voltage only gets reached for a fraction of a second and average
voltage is found for only one flux change that has been made. RMS is very
similar to Standard Deviation in maths where you have as many negative
deviations from the mean as positive so square them all average the squares
then divide by 2 the square root back again. RMS is useful because it gives
the value of constant DC voltage that would give the same power as the
varying AC voltage. Household supplies actually hit 340 volts peak but we
say they are 240 RMS because this would be the constant DC value that would
give you the same power output.
Roy