[Catalist] Online Physics Resource: MIT: “Visualizing Electromagnetism”

Ray Forma rayf at smartchat.net.au
Tue Sep 20 01:01:00 AEST 2016

Mike,

apparently the problems with the MIT Java apps stem from the security certificates attached to the Flash animations. There also seems to be a problem with the Java programming of the animations themselves.

To bypass the dud certificate attached to these apps I had to add the http://web.mit.edu site to the exceptions site list in the Security tab of my Java Control Panel before security would allow me to download an app from that site.

Then, upon launching one of the apps I received the following arcane information about the programming error:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- JNLP File for TEAL Simulation Application -->
<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="http://starapp.mit.edu/viz/EM/simulations" href="pentagon.jnlp">
  <information>
    <title>Pentagon Simulation</title>
    <vendor>Studio Physics</vendor>
    <homepage href="docs/help.html"/>
    <description>Pentagon Simulation</description>
    <description kind="short">Pentagon Simulation</description>
    <offline-allowed/>
  </information>
  <security>
      <all-permissions/>
  </security>
  <resources>
    <j2se version="1.4+" initial-heap-size="64m" max-heap-size="512m"/>
    <jar href="lib/TEALsim-simulations.jar" download="eager"/>
    <jar href="lib/TEALsim-core.jar" main="true" download="eager"/>
	<extension name="Java3D" href="java3d/java3d.jnlp"/>
  </resources>
  <application-desc main-class="teal.app.SimPlayerApp">
	<argument>-n</argument>
	<argument>tealsim.physics.em.Pentagon</argument>
  </application-desc>
</jnlp>

You should be pleased that the security features of MacOS has detected these security flaws and is protecting you from them.

If these apps are important to you then do use Windows to view them, as long as you are comfortable with the many security exploits that still afflict Widows. Nearly all of the ‘computer’ malware that exist should really be referred to as ‘Windows’ malware.

My experience with the MIT apps are under MacOS 10.10.5 using Firefox 48.0.1, Java 8 Update 101, and Flash Player NPAPI Plug-in version 23.0.0.162