[Catalist] SLRC: Australian Teacher Stress and Wellbeing Survey

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Thu Apr 20 13:05:11 AEST 2017

You raise an interesting point Roy, but one that is unlikely to have legs.

1) There is an over-representation of ex PE teachers at management level
in schools. This is because they have spare capacity relative to the
rest of the teaching workforce and can be asked to stand in /cover for
sick, LSL, or otherwise absent deputies etc. This means that come the
time to appoint to management, PE has a massive advantage in the
selection criterion "Have you any experience at this kind of work".

2) All people tend to over rate the amount of work they do with respect
to others. ex PE teachers in management are likely to underestimate the
workload of others, and over-estimate what they did. It is human nature,
that is all, not a reflection on the people involved, but nevertheless,
inevitable.

3) A lot of our assessment development is invisible. So management
doesn't see the impact of the average of 12-16h necessary to produce an
assessment instrument (test) properly aligned against a new courses'
elaborations, proofed, moderated and with a worked marking key. Of
course, if there is only one of you, you may just grab a test from a
friend at another school, but at the end of the day, someone needs to
sit down and write those, and they eat your family life and "spare time"
(defined here as the gap between the 37.5h week you are paid for and the
60-70h week you actually work).

4) Exacerbating point 2 is the relentless change in the system that we
have seen since at least the mid 2000s. Teachers make pretty great
footsoldiers - we might grumble a bit but we are fixers and system
builders. We make it work, or die trying. So the implication is that
just because we have survived and made two poorly thought out and
massively underfunded curriculum shifts work (the 2ab/3ab changes of
2008, and the new Australian curriculum-aligned changes to the senior
school subjects that started from 2015), that this means we will suck up
the next one that comes down the pipeline. Some of the mutterings about
change to the new WACE courses that seem to be foreshadowed fall into
this category. Someone has to ask the question, do we have the capacity
to cope with this change without degrading the quality of our lives and
our student outcomes?

5) There is currently a once-in-a-generation supply of physical
scientists, largely from mining and engineering. It is possible (though
not wise) to churn through some of those "crusty old bastards" from
physics that always resist everything :)
Here management might be tempted to say if you don't like it, get lost.
This solves the short term issue for them, although will lead to
increasing decline in educational standards down the line. That type of
consequence is easily evadable though - it will take 5 years to show
through the noise, by which time the said manager can be promoted or
move school. (Why 5 years. well: new grad teacher: 1st year-uses
programs already there or borrowed from HOLAs mates, grades take a dip
but they do for every new teacher to a class. 2nd Year: limited change
to program, running on old form, student grades improve but not as much
as they would for an experienced teacher. 3rd year: a bit of noise in
the system - maybe a particularly good cohort or a poor cohort - not
possible to see overall trend. 4th year - some curriculum changes. the
old teacher would have seen all this before and have resources from
1995, the new one has to learn- result lower grades.)  The point about
the stuff in parentheses is that it is easy to hide the consequences of
a poor decision - student data is very noisy!

6) The union view is that all teachers should be treated the same. There
is massive resistance to spit pay scales, and there is some
justification to this. Workload is hard to document, especially when you
are comparing multiple choice versus fractional allocation of marks for
partly correct multi-step physics or chem problems. This means that
there isn't a unified push to change, so it wont happen.

I think my school is doing something good about this. They have
introduced a program to allocate time for any teacher to "shadow" parts
of management in student services. This is to allow exposure to those
roles which lead on to management positions. I have never seen that done
before, and I am impressed - I hope it is leading to some attempt to
address the imbalance of disciplines at school at management level. I
don't know of any of my colleagues in science who have had the time to
take it up, but it is a good start.

I also see our top management trying to deflect some of the onerous
requirements that come out of east perth so that they don't disrupt the
classroom teachers workflow too much. I have not seen this at other
schools that I have worked for, and the reports I am getting from
colleagues at other places suggest that school management is largely not
competent in managing teacher workload in a reasonable and productive
manner. I doubt that there will be any kind of push back though -
economic recession coupled with a highly protected marketplace make a
very good carpet under which to sweep management mistakes!

Have a great retirement Roy, I envy you!

Cheers,
Leon