[Catalist] A Study in Environmental Chemistry: Lead in portable Drinking Water

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Fri Apr 21 13:46:56 AEST 2017

A couple of issues with this:
1) Lead has its greatest effect on the developing brain - there are a
number of epidemiological studies that correlate blood lead and decline
in IQ, and that is very significant.

2) The greatest relative effects occur at low levels of dosage, so this
means it is desirable to push the limits as low as attainable.

3) It is a children's hospital - hard to imagine a worse-case scenario,
especially hard on chronic childhood diseases. In other words, the most
vulnerable (sickest) are likely to have the greatest exposure (longest
time in residence). When kids get sick, they (hopefully) have a longer
remaining life, and hence cost more to compensate. ("Kids brains are
worth more than yours or mine" - at least in litigation !)

4) Adult brains don't seem to be as badly affected.

5) The insolubility is a red herring: toxic levels in blood are 100ug
per litre or 100ppm. Most "insoluble" salts are less than 100mg/l.
Calcium easily reaches this at 25C, there is upwards of 2.4mg /l of
calcium dissolved. Lead solubility in the presence of hard water
(carbonates) still gives about 56mg per litre - easily enough to
absorb!  (based on ksp of 7.4 x 10^-14, 25 degrees C, m(r) 207 for
lead). Lead is likely to be grabbed by the general divalent ion
transporter protein / calcium system in your gut, so there is a
mechanism for absorption.

Now the interesting thing is the remediation. These guys are looking at
phosphate treatment. At first sight this looks good as the Ksp of lead
phosphate is around 44, ie [Pb]3[PO4 3-]2 = 10^-44 (ish, - try measuring
that sucker!).

But note that the equilibrium expression is [Pb]^3[PO4]^2= 10^-44 -
those powers really stuff things up.
If we solve for the Pb concentration, we can set the PO4 concentration
as x, and therefore the Pb concentration as 3x/2 or 1.5x.
Then we find we can rewrite out equilibrium expression as 1.5x^3 times
x^2 = 10^-44, and then the concentration of Pb can be found to be 1.46 x
10^-9 Molar, or 0.3 micrograms per liter, which is ok, but in fact only
a couple of orders of magnitude less soluble that the carbonate!

So is the hope is to cover the surface of the pipes with a phosphate
coat that is insoluble? Just of lead and other metals? How often will it
need to be re-flushed? I can't believe that they only want to treat the
lead already in the water. What about a plasticiser?

But I reckon it gets worse. To keep the lead in the really insoluble
phosphate form (as distict from the considerably more soluble hydrogen
phosphate HPO4- form, you are going to have to have burn-your-mouth-out
pH of above 10. So there is no way it can be drunk like that! And, given
that there is a dodgy alloy in there somewhere, of unknown composition,
it may be that the high pH may even make the lead problem worse (by
accelerating the bulk corrosion of the metal, thereby freeing a greater
mass of Pb. How much zinc is in that unknown dodgy metal (Zn(OH)4 2-
being both soluble and amphoteric ). Who knows! Certainly I am not brave
enough to buy a lottery ticket in that one.

So if it all goes pear shaped, tell your kids this: If the WA government
had properly studied their Y12 equilibrium chemistry, (and if our course
had just taught that little bit further, and required numerical answers
for problems to equilibrium expressions), they could have saved the
state a motza, which could have been spent on the pensions of worthy and
deserving science teachers!

Have fun now Roy! This has distracted me from writing my course manual
of stem/robotics (which is looking suspiciously like physical sciences
with robots added in). Ah well, it was a pleasant hour and a half.
Please point out any errors in my reasoning - I have not spent a huge
amount of time thinking/reworking this.

Cheers,
Leon

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27837574

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=SToDhE40GhYC&pg=PA92&lpg=PA92&dq=distance+from+road+iq+lead&source=bl&ots=w5zrOxEqXS&sig=DQ8FHG3zXQAUN5E5A9XDtqTzeEM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH6daFv7TTAhXFybwKHRV6BbwQ6AEITTAJ#v=onepage&q=distance%20from%20road%20iq%20lead&f=false

and numerous others.