[Catalist] Fwd: March for Science Tomorrow in Perth

John Clarke john at stawa.net
Fri Apr 21 20:40:53 AEST 2017

Hi All,
I just received the following email.

Tomorrow on Saturday a March for Science has been convened but not publicised very well. Would you consider sending this information out to the membership of STAWA. It is not too late to send it today.

The March for Science is tomorrow Saturday 22 April in Perth at Forrest Chase from 10am to 2pm

Those of us who care need to stand together in a show of strength.

Have look at this link  https://marchforscienceaustralia.org/perth/

March for Science Perth This Saturday 22 April
This Earth Day – on Saturday 22nd April beginning at 10:30am -- we will gather on Murray St Mall to speak up for the critical role science education and research play in Western Australia and the global community: to drive evidence-based policy, support health and wellbeing, secure our future, and simply marvel at the wonder of scientific discovery.
We’ll be joined by some of WA’s top scientists and change-makers, including Lyn Beazley, 2015 Australian of the Year, and Carmen Lawrence, former Premier of WA.
Time: 10:30am-2pm
Location: The intersection of Murray St Mall and Forrest Place (by the information kiosk, Top Shop and Commonwealth Bank)
Who: Anyone who celebrates the role of science in a thriving society! This is NOT an event just for scientists; we want to send a clear message that scientific discovery and application is valued far beyond the lab. Bring the family, and tell your friends. And by all means, bring posters telling the world why this matters!
SCIENCE, NOT SILENCE
The March for Science<https://www.marchforscience.com/> celebrates the public discovery, distribution, and understanding of scientific knowledge as crucial to the freedom, success, health, and safety of life on this planet.
We are a nonpartisan group, marching to demand action in the following areas:
Literacy, Communication, Policy, and Investment.
________________________________

Universal Literacy
A well-informed community is essential to a free and successful society. We support education to promote broad public knowledge and discussion of scientific work. As professionals, parents, and community-engaged volunteers, we enthusiastically contribute our time and expertise to helping children and students of all ages engage with the physical universe and biological world.
Open Communication
Publicly-funded scientists have a responsibility to communicate their research and public outreach and accessibility of scientific knowledge should be encouraged. Communication of scientific findings and their implications must not be suppressed.
Informed Policy
Public policy should be guided by peer-reviewed evidence and scientific consensus. Public policy must enable scientists to communicate their publicly-funded research results, and must support literacy in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Stable Investment
A long-term, strategic approach to investment in scientific research and development is essential for driving true innovation. Government commitment to stable science funding policy will deliver solutions to complex challenges, promoting prosperity for all.

Angela Rossen
Community Outreach Biodiversity Projects
Oceans Institute
The University of West Australia
Studio Fremantle

angela.rossen at uwa.edu.au<mailto:angela.rossen at uwa.edu.au>