[Catalist] A Frog he would a Wooing Go!

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 09:35:59 AEST 2017

Greetings Science Colleagues,

YouTube URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHyxNsE7opY <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHyxNsE7opY>
Where have all the Frogs gone? WIKIPEDIA URL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_in_amphibian_populations <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_in_amphibian_populations>
From my growing-up years at Canning Bridge in Como, I remember the many tree frogs living in the bore water reticulated back garden, which also contained two goldfish ponds. On a still night in my teenage years, I would hear frog calls from McDougall’s swamp in Como and, in my adult years from Lake Carine in South Duncraig. I now very much enjoy hearing the occasional frog mating calls when walking around Tomato Lake in Kewdale.

During my university studies and secondary science-teaching career I refused to dissect frogs and, I never ever kept tadpoles and frogs in my science classrooms.

Online Frog Dissection URL: http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/virtual_labs/BL_16/BL_16.html <http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/virtual_labs/BL_16/BL_16.html>
RSPCA URL: http://kb.rspca.org.au/Can-I-keep-a-frog-as-a-pet_225.html <http://kb.rspca.org.au/Can-I-keep-a-frog-as-a-pet_225.html>
I am most pleased that I did not add to the decline of frogs in their ecosystems.

Today, I posit that most schoolchildren would have never experienced a live frog.

I have identified the frogs at Tomato Lake by listening to their mating calls and, enjoyed the experience of rescuing a moaning frog from an Australian White ibis and, two Australian Ravens at Tomato Lake.

I used these two WA Museum websites to identify the frogs at Tomato Lake.

WAM URL 1: http://museum.wa.gov.au/explore/frog-watch-schools/frog-watch-schools-kit/froglish-beginners <http://museum.wa.gov.au/explore/frog-watch-schools/frog-watch-schools-kit/froglish-beginners>
WAM URL 2: http://museum.wa.gov.au/research/collections/terrestrial-zoology/herpetology-reptiles-and-frogs-collection/frog-calls <http://museum.wa.gov.au/research/collections/terrestrial-zoology/herpetology-reptiles-and-frogs-collection/frog-calls>
My very-creative secondary science-teaching colleague, Leon Harris has informed me that he has constructed a listening device to hear and record frog mating-calls up close and personal in their burrows.

Best Wishes,

Michael John McGarry