[Catalist] IT PD at Murdoch University

Fiona Mochrie Fiona.Mochrie at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Sep 11 13:39:15 AEST 2017

IT PD for computer science and IT teachers
Are you interested in improving your IT skills and understanding of IT applications, as well as what content is covered at university?  Murdoch will be hosting  an IT PD day on Tuesday 26th September from 9 am - 3.30 pm.  The day involves 3 different hands on workshops ran by academics, you will also gain access to a learning portal with more information and activities which you can use in class, as well as networking with other teachers.  The day will cost $40, which covers your morning tea, lunch, and parking.  You will receive a certificate of attendance.
Workshop information:
Virtual Reality Concepts, Technology and Content Development
In this workshop, we will examine Virtual Reality (VR) concepts, the technology that enables VR and development of VR content. We will use the Unity game engine platform to develop a simple VR application for a mobile platform. Participants who wish to experience the VR content that they develop may want to bring an Android smartphone and a USB cable to connect the smartphone to the development PC.

Mobile Applications Development
Nowadays, mobile devices are used in all aspects of our life, from teaching and learning to entertainment and health monitoring. As such, the need for graduates that are able to develop and code applications for such devices is expected to grow significantly in the next few years.  In this work workshop, we will introduce you to the different tools and resources that are available for developing apps for mobile devices such smart phones, tablets and smart watches.

Internet of Things
In the future, even small everyday objects will be internet connected and will interact with each other in a variety of ways. With a greater understanding of environmental effects, buildings will adjust heating, cooling, fans, lighting, windows to save power. Reticulation may operate based on soil moisture levels and cars may self-report potholes and report maintenance work to the service centre. In our introduction to the Internet of Things, we will use a Raspberry Pi to prototype a Simple IoT system. The devices will work together to sense and report a condition. This condition may be sent to another electronic system or to social media.
To register or for more information email: f.mochrie at murdoch.edu.au<mailto:f.mochrie at murdoch.edu.au>

For more events for teachers and students at Murdoch, or to see what the outreach team can offer you visit the Murdoch outreach webpage<http://www.murdoch.edu.au/study/undergraduate-students/for-teachers-families/teachers>

Fiona Mochrie
BSc, MSc, PGCE
Outreach Officer

Academic Registrar's Office | External Engagement
Biological Sciences Building | Room 2-011
Ph: +61 8 9360 7656
M: +61 410 086 382

E: f.mochrie at murdoch.edu.au<mailto:f.mochrie at murdoch.edu.au>

Murdoch University