[Catalist] Effects of data focus on US Physicians - some parallels and warnings for Educators

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Sun Aug 19 21:35:49 AEST 2018

Greetings all!
Here is an interesting article that analyses the increase in burnout and
decline in work quality for US physicians.
This profession has undergone a few changes in the last decade, one of
the more significant being shifting to electronic patient records and
data capture.
Physicians report a miserably larger amount of time generating and
tending to patient records, with a concomitant decline in
patient-physician interactions.

There are potential lessons for us as educators too, as we careen down
the twisting rabbit hole of student data.

How much data is enough? How well should each point represent a students
body (eg a course mark aggregating 5 assessments) of work as compared to
a single point in time (eg an exam) and how is that weighted? Are the
highly visual, highly intuitive and highly flawed (quasi/pseudo
statistical) methods that we currently use for analysis really up to the
task?

https://ucrtoday.ucr.edu/53530

Cheers,
Leon
(I have shared this to both echalk and catalist, as there are people in
both communities who might be interested in this)