[Catalist] Plant Tissue Culture in Schools

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Wed Jul 11 11:13:26 AEST 2018

Hi to all.
I have recently concluded a Plant Tissue Culture Club at Willetton SHS.

In doing so, I have developed methods and protocols that allow us to run
this club over the course 10 weeks for approximately $180 dollars.

Plant Sciences, and Biotechnology don't seem to have received the
attention they deserve in the STEM movement - yet these areas are where
Australia is naturally competitive and will likely earn substantial
portions of its future income.

To help others follow along in this path, I have written and published
two Instructables.

The first one deals with making a growth cabinet, with settable
day/night cycle for culturing plants. It can be found here:
https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Plant-Tissue-Culture-Incubator/

The second one shows in reasonable detail (including contacts for
suppliers, etc) how to actually turn the tip of a plant into a hundred
or so plants. It might be a nice adjunct to a bit of sexual/asexual
reproduction, especially if you farm out to your lab staff (I hear
groans and the clanking of chains!) the media production, which the kids
will be slow at.  You can find these instructions at :
https://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Plant-Tissue-Culture-Australian-Trigger-Plant/

If you are interested, I can probably also give you some Stylidium
trigger plants as starting material, Odie will not mind losing a few
leaves. (Odie = O.D. = Organ Donor - all my plants have names!)

Cheers,
Leon