[Catalist] Teaching and assessing general capabilities

Kim Flintoff K.Flintoff at curtin.edu.au
Wed Jul 11 15:31:06 AEST 2018

The Learning Futures Network<http://www.learningfuturesnetwork.org/> is also undertaking a crowd-sourcing exercise to Identify the qualities of “future readiness”

This project is aimed at developing a framework for identifying, developing, collecting evidence of and evaluating key attributes of future ready learners.

We would like your ideas, comments and advice to define and refine the attributes.

The top level of the framework<https://futurereadylearning.wordpress.com/2018/06/29/future-ready-attributes/>, which we have found across many projects around the world, includes

  *   COLLABORATION,
  *   CREATIVITY,
  *   PERSONAL LEARNING,
  *   PROBLEM SOLVING; and
  *   GLOBAL SUSTAINABILITY.

and reflects those attributes for which there is historical research.

We understand that learner attributes will manifest in many different ways depending upon content and level of development.

The project will step through 4 main phases:
1.    Define the attributes and identify broad elements of evidence;
2.    Identify the indicators of these elements at different stages of life-long learning;
3.    Refine and categorise the indicators with degrees of confidence;
4.    Identify the most appropriate approaches learning design and pedagogy to support the continued development of the attributes.

After which, we will publish the complete report and invite research projects.

We will invite you to later activities to refine details of the indicators within broad developmental bands:

K-6 Indicators
7-10 Indicators
11-12 Indicators
University Graduate & Employability Indicators

We plan to publish reports that aggregate the findings of this process and we will acknowledge all contributors who participate in all four (4) phases of the work.

You can find the project here:  https://futurereadylearning.wordpress.com/

Schools and other organisations are also invited to join the Learning Futures Network<http://www.learningfuturesnetwork.org/> – no cost, no obligation.

Cheers

Kim Flintoff
Learning Futures Advisor      | Curtin Learning and Teaching
Manager, Innovation Studio     | Office of the DVC, Academic
Academic Coordinator, ACES (Achievement Centred Engagement for Students)
National Coordinator, UNEP-DHI Eco Challenge Australia
Joint Academic Lead, Education Theme | Curtin Institute for Computation
Coordinator, Learning Futures Schools Network