[Catalist] Rethinking the origins of Homo sapiens

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 10:36:46 AEST 2018

Rethinking the origins of Homo sapiens

Greetings CATALIST and ASTARIX 2.0 Subscribers,

“You might say it’s the ultimate prize of science, to discover when, where and why humans evolved.

For a long time, the evidence has been overwhelming that Homo sapiens evolved in Africa and later spilled out of the continent to settle the rest of the planet.

But is the story of our origins really as simple as it seems?”

URL 1: https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/rethinking-the-origins-of-homo-sapiens <https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/rethinking-the-origins-of-homo-sapiens>
“Questions about the origins of our existence are among the most significant that a person may face. From where we came is, for many of us, crucial to understanding who we are and where we are going.

The question of whether the world was created by a supernatural being or came into existence and evolved from purely natural processes has been a source of controversy in philosophy, religion, science and politics for the past 250 years.”

“… The majority of Australian adults believe that God, or a supernatural being, was behind our origins. Of the 17 million adults in Australia in 2011, just under one-third (31%) believe in creationism, just over one-quarter (27%) believe that God used the process of evolution, and the majority of the remaining 42% of adults in Australia believe in natural evolution without any divine involvement.”

URL 2: https://www.plainreason.org/articles/survey-creationism-australia/ <https://www.plainreason.org/articles/survey-creationism-australia/>
Given that in 2011, only 42% of Australian adults believed in natural evolution without any divine/supernatural) involvement, Australian secondary science teachers have a professional responsibility to teach to their students the "Theory of Biological Evolution” starting in Year 7, and progressing through to Year 12, with increasing sophistication of understanding, and with emphasis on the evolution of Homo sapiens.

I have only found three up-to-date human evolution websites with open access.

URL 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution>
URL 4: https://theconversation.com/au/topics/human-evolution-2687 <https://theconversation.com/au/topics/human-evolution-2687>
URL 5: https://www.the-scientist.com/tag/human-evolution <https://www.the-scientist.com/tag/human-evolution>
With Best Wishes,