[Catalist] Physics Education at the 23rd AIP Congress

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Sat Jun 2 15:46:36 AEST 2018

Thanks Roy, you are very kind.

For teachers, we need to modify the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum
physics here to something like: "Shut up and keep marking !".
Alas, I fear the kind of change is too hard for our kind of society
under these conditions.

These things act against us:
1) 3 year election cycle - can't do long-term planning.

2) Collapse of the public service as a "check and balance" that could
provide the long-term view that is missing in 1)

3) Rise of the client-server model in the educational context.
Customer(student/parent) happiness does not necessarily map onto system
success. This is particularly clear when the goal of parent and system
don't align (ie one wants the maximum grade(benefit) for their child and
the other wants the fairest and most accurate measurement of the child's
ability that will give a suitable benefit to that child). Don't blame
the parents - hey I seek to rort the system to my child's benefit too!
Just be mindful of the conflict and don't pander to the parent.

4) Shift to exam focus rather than mastery focus. Continually refining
the teaching strategy to fit the instrument that assesses its success
means pruning away of "deep mastery". We don't teach reasoning, logic,
or problem solving, we teach NAPLAN and ATAR. As generations of teachers
come through this system, their knowledge and skill base becomes
whittled away, and we will continue to sink ever lower (Unless we are
able to sell our folly to our competitors as best practice! ).

So yeah,
shut up and keep marking.

Above all, enjoy the sunshine and the beautiful weather, it is still
affordable on a scientists salary!
Cheers,
Leon