[Catalist] Rubric Grading and Decline in Student Science Understanding

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Wed Jun 20 11:48:36 AEST 2018

The first child on your 4th URL reminds me of many I have met over the
years, and is destined to decline and fail in later years.
Variable understanding is much more significant than c-level
"explanation". The first indicates a knowledge of scientific method.
This indicates that the student's learning is transferable. The "c"s in
the other areas indicate satisfactory fluency in English and acceptable
work ethic.

You see a lot of them at Y8/Y9 parent teacher interviews: "Well Johnny
did fine last year, why is he failing now. You must be a dreadful
teacher!". Johnny was a nice kid, if a bit talkative, who bonded well
with the social structure of his year 6 class, and, with a relatively
charismatic teacher, made his peace to fit into the social order. Later
at high school, with 5 other teachers (4h each per week) and mix-n-match
classrooms, when Johnny doesn't depend on a single teacher so much for
his social status, he loses out on the attributes he got "c"s for, and
his underlying "D" understanding shines through. Those Johnnies are damn
hard to re-engage. Things that have worked in the past for me are
engaging Johnnies best friend or girlfriend, and if caught early enough
(ie before term 2 Y8), getting his parents onside by 1) explaining the
dynamics and 2) giving a detailed enough work pathway with some
demonstrable product that allows them to see when Johnny starts
deviating. (However if the folks are against homework, you have no chance).

The other concern with rubrics occurs at the top end. They become "lists
of ways to fail". So the kid who does well on variables, hypothesis and
explanation, but doesn't hit reflection or follow the convention on
methods gets pulled down. I often find myself frustrated with a rubric
because it prevents me from giving as high a mark to a kid, due to a
rubric foot fault.

Then you have the problem where you have a clear spectrum of ability in
your class: Ms 95%, Mr 90% (who often is a foot-faulted 98%),  86,85,85
and 83%, and then 80%. There is a clear difference in the quality of the
performance piece between 83% and 86% - you want to hang the 86% in the
schools library, whereas 83% fits in to the lower parts of each rubric
box. My experience in that case is that rubrics get subjected to
boundary shifting then, especially if two or more of you are marking it
trying to moderate a couple of classes, and that is enormously
subjective. This is less necessary if you don't give out the rubric
prior to marking, but then the whole thing just becomes an exercise in
seeing who has the best school culture capital/ can read the teacher the
best.

However, rubrics are one of the few push-backs that we have against the
incessant pressure to hand back all lower school assessments. The work
load to writing/recycling a rubric is much lower that the average 10-16h
a completely fresh test takes me! I suspect that more rubrics and fewer
tests will be a way that schools will go if the return of all tests (out
to the tutorsphere) becomes mandatory.

Cheers Mike, as always, you raise interesting topics. Normally I am too
busy to engage fully, but today I am off sick.
Leon.

(ps: electrons don't transmit flu!
pps: stay away from sick people, they are bad for your health!)