[Catalist] Belief in Creationist Pseudoscience in Australia renaissance

Mick Cameron mrcameronsir at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 00:02:32 AEDT 2018

Thanks Colin,
Wow those Jordan Peterson videos are long, it’s not everyday I have time to watch a 2 hour Youtube clip! :) Can you recommend one in particular?

Thanks for your comments I appreciate your recognition of the influence of Christianity on our modern world. As a Christian myself I do notice a public perception that science and religion are pitted against each other. This is despite the fact I know a lot of Christian scientists and I’m sure many subscribers to Catalyst. I’d say it’s not an either/or issue Christianity vs science but instead a person can believe in God and science. When you believe in an ordered universe, governed by good and rational God it makes sense to want to spend your life studying it.

I agree that we need to employ the scientific method, collect data and weigh up our theories against the evidence. We have puny, flawed perspectives and a natural tendency to bias hence we need the scientific method.

This scientific method you mention is secular. So the experiments and research conducted by scientists only involve the physical world. And rightly so. We are only concerned with what we can observe and measure with our senses and instruments. We use our reason and objective evidence to study our world and seek to understand it. Anyone can practice this- whether you think God  created you or have no interest in religion.

Please take notice of how believers use the word ‘faith’ though. If you ever read any serious Christian literature you’ll notice that no-one uses ‘faith’ to mean belief without reason. Richard Dawkins might promote this fallacy, however in theology faith means trust in God whose existence rests on other grounds. A scientist can have faith in God because of philosophical, historical and experiential reasons. Just like an engineer has faith in his modelling of strains, forces and material properties to keep the bridge from falling. Or my life insurance company has faith in its actuary to assess the risk of me crashing my car.

Believing in God and studying science are not mutually exclusive. You can follow science and Jesus, and the faith versus fact myth is simplistic and unnecessary. There are some scientists who don’t believe in God and others who do. I’d say let them get on with doing what they love- investigating this amazing world.

Regards,

Mick Cameron