[Catalist] Longevity revisited

Roy Skinner rsskinner at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 14 16:14:26 AEST 2018

Graphs plotted in the 1970s showed that there was a good correlation between monetary wealth and longevity. It seemed obvious that the more money you have the better food and living comforts you could afford and hence the link.

However, in the 1980s this link was picked further apart for other lifestyle factors and found that there was a stronger correlation between death age and education. A country like Cuba has a greater longevity than USA and is generally much poorer, whereas Equatorial New Guinea is very oil-rich and yet has an average death age of only 60.

Of course, the two factors are linked as more highly educated populations would naturally have more wealth but education is the key factor for living longer.

I think we need to stress this to our students – we are prolonging their lives by education them so forget the new-age vitamins and medicines!

Roy