[Catalist] Foundation course in Science

SAMUELS Norbert [Balga Senior High School] Norbert.Samuels at education.wa.edu.au
Tue Sep 4 12:44:58 AEST 2018

Hi All,

Just wanted to run a little poll on how many schools out there would offer a foundation course in Science if it was available from SCSA. Just a reminder that foundation courses are only for students who have not passed OLNA or students who are Learning/Education Support students.

There is a Preliminary and/or Foundation course in every Learning Area - Maths, English, Technologies, Arts, Health and PE and HASS at this current time but not one in Science.
The need for the future generation to have skills such as problem solving, critical thinking, analysis, evaluation and other skills that are taught in Science, has been announced in every country and they hold several forums about increasing STEM skills to help our future generation be equipped to be able to enter the ever changing technological workforce of the future but SCSA still don't see it important to have a Science Foundation course so students who struggle with English literacy and/or numeracy can access a course suitable for them.

My apologies for ranting please let me know if you would run a Foundation course if one was available.

Cheers

Norbert

Kind Regards

Norbert Samuels

Head of Department Science and Technologies

Balga Senior High School

Street address: 2 Markham way, Balga   WA 6061

Ph: (08) 9247 0222  |  Fax: (08) 9342 0944

Email: Norbert.Samuels at education.wa.edu.au<mailto:Norbert.samuels at education.wa.edu.au>  |  Website: http://www.balgashs.wa.edu.au/