[Catalist] The other WA Solar Car Challenge - late October 2019 - sponsored by AIE, UWA and Infinite Energy

John Clarke john at stawa.net
Wed Apr 10 11:44:29 AEST 2019

Hi All,
The STAWA Synergy Schools Solar Challenge was held yesterday at Optus Stadium. This was the culmination of 8 race events: 3 Metro and 4 regional. Thousands of Year 6 and Year 8 students from 157 schools participated in the program this our third and largest year.

Congratulations to our winners:
Year 6 Amaroo PS Collie
Year 8 Kiara College

For secondary schools wishing to build upon the excitement of the Synergy Schools Solar Challenge with older students then It is worth considering the the following:

The University of Western Australia, the Australian Institute of Energy, and Infinite Energy invite WA high school students to participate in another "class" of model solar car races this year.  See the website: http://www.infiniteenergy.com.au/discover/solar-car-challenge - and the short video, flyer and regulations on this website.

An Information Session is planned in the first week of Term 2, for a teacher and two students to attend from each school. You can register for this on the above website or here: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/infinite-energy-solar-car-challenge-2019-teacher-information-session-tickets-59893020637?utm_campaign=postpub&utm_medium=em&utm_source=sm&utm_content=viewevent

The challenge is exciting and educational for students, as you would know from the very successful STAWA/Synergy solar car races being held at this time of the year.

Students from these early races could go on and participate in our October challenge to build on what they have already learnt.  Students have more opportunity to innovate for our October races, because they can design and build their own cars (see the short video on the main website).

Our October challenge feeds into the Australian-International solar model car challenge being held in Tasmania in Nov/Dec 2019.  See: https://www.modelsolarchallenge.com.au/

If your school and students are interested in participating in our October challenge, please register on the first website above.  Contact details for more information are also on the flyer on this website.

We look forward to seeing your students in the challenge.

UWA, AIE and Infinite Energy
If you have questions  contact Noel Schubert <noel.schubert at shoobs.net><mailto:noel.schubert at shoobs.net>

John

John Clarke