[Catalist] WA Schools Think Tank Challenge Results

John Clarke john at stawa.net
Thu Oct 24 18:14:36 AEDT 2019

Hi All,

The WA Schools Think Tank Challenge is a Water Corporation, Innovation Institute initiative and partnership, supported by STAWA.

The challenge: How can Perth become a leading waterwise city by 2030?
Think Tank sessions were FREE for schools to enter teams made up of eight, year 9 and/or year 10 students.
They select their Think Tank Location
City of Wanneroo -  Tue 6 August
City of Bayswater - Tue 27 August
City of Fremantle - Tue 10 September

Two winning teams from each location then had to pitch their solution at the ‘grand final’ session held on Tuesday morning at the Water Corporation headquarters. I was lucky to be one of the judges. The presentations were well researched and presented innovative solutions.
Please see the media statement from the Minister for Waters’ Office - https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/McGowan/2019/10/Secondary-school-students-find-waterwise-solutions-part-of-inaugural-Think-Tank-event.aspx

A photo of the winning students and the other judges, l/r Nicole Locke, me and Karin Willis, attached. Nicole and Karen are from the Water Corporation. Hopefully you will spot this on 7 and/or 10 news tonight.

This was a great STEM opportunity for students to tackle a real world, local issue. The Water Corporation and City Councils involved will be evaluating and implementing student ideas where possible. They see this type of event as a great opportunity to here from students in a way that provides fresh and innovative ideas that their teams may have missed.

I will keep you informed of future events as STAWA is working closely with the Innovation Institute.

Don’t forget to register for Future Science:
Website:                http://www.cvent.com/d/qhqknh
Registration:          http://www.cvent.com/d/qhqknh/4W

Regards,
John