[Catalist] Curriculum linked free astronomy program - places available for 2020

Kirsten Gottschalk kirsten.gottschalk at uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 13 13:46:31 AEDT 2020

Happy New Year educators,
I hope you’ve all been able to enjoy a well-earned break.

If you’re looking for a curriculum linked program for Years 9-10 in astronomy, we can help!

The International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) and ASTRO 3D are offering a 6-week program to a limited number of schools for 2020. Please see the information below if you are interested in getting involved.

ICRAR SPIRIT IN SCHOOLS PROGRAM:
This 6-week program, offered by ICRAR's Outreach Program<https://www.icrar.org/> in conjunction with ASTRO 3D<https://astro3d.org.au/>, allows students to get first-hand experience working with SPIRIT<http://spirit.icrar.org/> (a number of professional-grade remote internet telescopes).

Working in groups the students will learn how to take pictures of the night sky, manipulate the images and use the data they collect over a number of observation sessions, potentially tracking the position of the Galliean moons to calculate the mass of Jupiter. Working with your teachers, the ICRAR Outreach team can tailor the program to better fit your students’ needs and capabilities, creating an experience that will push the students without overwhelming them. The important outcome of this program is to give students access to resources they would normally only find in a university setting and give them the opportunity to think and work like a scientist.

The program is curriculum linked to years 9 and 10. Resources required include access to internet connected computers and approximately 6 lessons of class time (at least one week apart, but timing is flexible and the program can be adapted over longer time periods to suit your school's calendar and planning). The program can be offered as a mix of in-person engagement with astronomers, remote lessons via video-connection and in-class group work led by classroom teachers with our support.

The program is offered free of charge to selected schools.

If you’d like more information and to learn how this SPIRIT in schools program could fit into your science, maths or wider STEM offering please contact:
Gregory Rowbotham
Cosmos Consultant
gregory.rowbotham at uwa.edu.au<mailto:gregory.rowbotham at uwa.edu.au>
Ph: +61 8 6488 7769
Mobile: 0410 549 023

Kirsten Gottschalk
Astronomy Ambassador

Ph: +61 8 6488 7771
Mobile: +61 438 361 876

[http://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/icrar.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/06160138/image001.png]
<http://www.icrar.org>www.icrar.org<http://www.icrar.org/about/> | Subscribe to our eNewsletter<http://www.icrar.org/#subscribe> | ICRAR on Twitter<http://twitter.com/icrar> | ICRAR on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/ICRAR/199692286227>

I work part time and am in office and available from 8-4 Monday-Thursday.