[Catalist] Repairing and maintaining alcohol thermometers for student labs: A CONSTAWA Investigation sponsored by Modern Teaching Aids

Leon Harris leon at quoll.com
Thu Jul 15 13:19:37 AEST 2021

Greetings all,

Yesterdays CONSTAWA was, as usual, excellent and as usual provided many
stimulating conversations.

During one of these Frank De Rooy, of Modern Teaching Aids fame was
showing me some glass alcohol thermometers where the column of alcohol
had broken and the upper portion of alcohol was close to the top.

Stuffed Thermometer

We normally regard these as hopelessly broken, but they are not.

This post aims to do two things:

1. show you how to prevent this type of damage

2. Show you how to fix it, as it is a common issue in lower school labs.

Part 1: how to prevent column breakage in the thermometer.

Always store your thermometers vertical position. Cut a 35cm length of
90mm pvc pipe, cut out a piece of sponge to place in the bottom, and
glue a 90mm end cap to it. Secure it so it can't fall over (eg by
putting in a cardboard box packed with newspaper, or any other technique
you fancy) and keep your thermometers upright in this. The sponge in the
bottom is to protect the bulb end of the thermometer. When students
return thermometers from labs, have them return them to vertical containers.

Part 2: how to fix it.

Fixing thermometers takes a little time and care. The principle you need
to keep in mind is that you must always have a significant volume of air
in the thermometer, or the bulb will shatter.

The first task is to break up the liquid at the top (ill call this the
top line from here on) . To do this you will need to drop the
thermometer onto a plastic surface, such as a lunchbox turned upside
down, repeatedly. The goal is to change a top line that looks like this
________ into one which looks like this - - --- -   - - . When you drop
the thermometer onto this surface, small droplets of the top line are
separate from the rest. Because the thermometer is vertical, these
droplets move downwards under the influence of gravity, and become
closer to the main mass of coloured liquid. You can see a person doing
this step here: https://youtu.be/Be9BsV7KvfA

Once you have broken up the top line and have as much air between it as
you can get, you can start to try to join the alcohol together.

Repeat this next step cautiously. You will need to do it several times
if you are to avoid having your thermometer bub explode. To do this you
need a low powered bunsen safety flame. You wave the bulb of the
thermometer through the hot air above the safety flame (not the flame
itself). You want to heat the thermometer as slowly as you can, and you
MUST MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS ALWAYS AIR SPACE in the thermometer.
Normally there is a little bulb in the top of the thermometer. As soon
as you cannot see air space, the thermometer will shatter. As soon as
you have heated the thermometer as much as you can, let it cool. If
there are still droplets of alcohol that are separated, try tapping them
a bit until the column breaks up, and then repeat the heating step.

I hope this helps with a common problem in our schools.

I thank Frank de Rooy and MTA for two samples of hopelessly damaged
thermometers, one of which I destroyed to confirm my idea about
incompressibility of fluids and broken thermometers.

I note in passing that such types of collaboration are one reason why
face to face pd is essential, and will never be fully replaced by Zoom.

Have fun all,

Leon Harris

(Ps: apologies for the image, I shrunk it to 62Kb so as not to more
space than a signatures logo)