[Catalist] Wax Moths and Honey Bees and Australian Eucalypt Trees

Michael McGarry mmcgarry44 at gmail.com
Fri May 5 20:18:50 AEST 2017

Greetings Science Colleagues,

I question how many of our Australian school libraries and science departments subscribe to COSMOS magazine? I use my e-subscription to COSMOS magazine by selecting articles of special interest to me; and conduct www research to find and study additional in-depth science reports on my COSMOS articles of special interest.

A recent article in the COSMO magazine informs a scientific research study on using wax moth caterpillar larvae to biodegrade waste polyethylene plastic. URL 2: http://www.sci-news.com/biology/wax-moth-caterpillars-polyethylene-04807.html <http://www.sci-news.com/biology/wax-moth-caterpillars-polyethylene-04807.html>.

“Humans produce 80 million tons of polyethylene in a year.”

URL 3: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/could-caterpillar-help-solve-world-s-plastic-bag-problem <http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/could-caterpillar-help-solve-world-s-plastic-bag-problem>
“We report here the fast biodegradation of PE by the wax worm, the caterpillar larva of the wax moth Galleria mellonella of the snout moth (Pyralidae) family of Lepidoptera.”

URL 4: http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(17)30231-2 <http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(17)30231-2>
I then develop a MS WORD document with relevant hyperlinks that could become the precursor to a potential ‘current news’ Australian science curriculum interactive PDF module.

Wax moth caterpillar larvae eat beeswax and consequently destroy the hives of honeybees that are so very important to agricultural cops and orchards. URL 5: http://beeaware.org.au/archive-pest/wax-moth-18/#ad-image-0 <http://beeaware.org.au/archive-pest/wax-moth-18/%23ad-image-0>, and to the Australian honey industry URL 6: http://honeybee.org.au/education/wonderful-world-of-honey/ <http://honeybee.org.au/education/wonderful-world-of-honey/>.

Agricultural Victoria: “Wax Moth - A Pest of Combs and Honey Bee Products.”

URL 7: http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/pests-diseases-and-weeds/pest-insects-and-mites/wax-moth-a-pest-of-combs-and-honey-bee-products <http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/pests-diseases-and-weeds/pest-insects-and-mites/wax-moth-a-pest-of-combs-and-honey-bee-products>
There is a magnificent Eucalyptus citriodora growing in the Tomato Lake Reserve in Kewdale, WA: URL 8: https://www.anbg.gov.au/cpbr/cd-keys/euclid3/euclidsample/html/Corymbia_citriodora.htm <https://www.anbg.gov.au/cpbr/cd-keys/euclid3/euclidsample/html/Corymbia_citriodora.htm> [I have uploaded a PDF of the tree to ASTA’s ASTARIX 2.0 Forum.]

During a few weeks at end of March/early April, audible noise from the combined beating of the wings of honeybees collecting pollen and nectar from the Eucalyptus citriodora flowers was a delight to hear.

The online Identification of Australian Eucalyptus Trees

Our Biology students could identify, survey and produce a science research report of the eucalyptus trees growing in their school grounds and in street verges and parks in their local areas near their homes?

To identify the particular species of eucalyptus trees and shrubs, growing in their local areas, students would need to collect and/or photograph the bark, flowers and fruit of the various eucalypts.

URL 9: http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/eucalypts <http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/eucalypts>
URL 10: http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=gn&name=Eucalyptus <http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=gn&name=Eucalyptus>
URL 11: https://www.anbg.gov.au/cpbr/cd-keys/euclid3/euclidsample/html/Corymbia_citriodora.htm <https://www.anbg.gov.au/cpbr/cd-keys/euclid3/euclidsample/html/Corymbia_citriodora.htm>
URL 12: https://www.anbg.gov.au/cpbr/cd-keys/euclid3/euclidsample/html/learn.htm <https://www.anbg.gov.au/cpbr/cd-keys/euclid3/euclidsample/html/learn.htm>
[Please note that in a reply to my ASTARIX 2.0 Forum e-post, I will upload a PDF of the flowers and fruit of Eucalyptus citriodora.]

Question: Does the Australian curriculum give emphasis to Australian Eucalypts?

Best Wishes,

Michael John McGarry